Say Anything Guitars

Musicians discuss things. Anything musician related. You can also use this forum to learn about the Say Anything sound! Discuss the gear, settings, and other misc things used by Say Anything in the studio and out: amps, guitars, effects, basses, drums-- whatever!
Scott
Legend
Say Anything Guitars

Post by Scott » Wed May 27, 2009 3:21 am

Although they have alot of guitars from Jaguars to Les Paul's live, I thought it was interesting that Max's "play around" guitar he kept on the van a few tours back was a midrange Fender acoustic. You can see Jeff playing on it in the videos he recorded for the site. I actually got to play on it and that action was really high. What have they been seen with recently? Or in the past? Open discussion!
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

kognitiva

Re: Guitars

Post by kognitiva » Thu May 28, 2009 4:50 pm

Hi Scott!

I'd love to see some more info on their sound. Perhaps you could pull some stuff of wikipedia :) Would be nice to have all info here so I dont have to jump between sites

Thank you for this awesome forum :)

KevinIsARealBoy

Post by KevinIsARealBoy » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:18 pm

when max plays acoustic, he's been seen with taylor, gibson, takamine, and fender.

all great sounds.

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Mon Nov 30, 2009 4:32 pm

kognitiva wrote:Hi Scott!

I'd love to see some more info on their sound. Perhaps you could pull some stuff of wikipedia :) Would be nice to have all info here so I dont have to jump between sites

Thank you for this awesome forum :)

yeah I have thought about expanding but a site as narrowly focused as this can only go so far and I don't think this site can be spread much farther... there's too many alternatives to talk on this stuff including SA's own site
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

Dreaming/Manhattan

Post by Dreaming/Manhattan » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:19 am

I wish it were possible to know the brand or gauge of strings they use. The brand/body style of the guitar accounts for a good deal of the sound quality, but a simple change in the gauge of strings can drastically affect the song.

Does Max always play half-step down when he plays acoustic?

Jeffanything

Post by Jeffanything » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:24 pm

Dreaming/Manhattan wrote:I wish it were possible to know the brand or gauge of strings they use. The brand/body style of the guitar accounts for a good deal of the sound quality, but a simple change in the gauge of strings can drastically affect the song.

Does Max always play half-step down when he plays acoustic?
We use Ernie ball medium gauge tops with heavy bottoms.

Max usually plays a half step down live, yes.

Jeffanything

Post by Jeffanything » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:35 pm

For my live sound I use...
An orange ad30 through an orange 4x12.
I started off on the first 2 or 3 tours with a Squire jagmaster, it was the white one from the alive with the glory of love video. Later bought two Fender mustangs, a 1968 competition orange (can be seen in the wow music video) and a one of a kind reissue 1994 competition fiesta red. My next guitar that I play on current tours is a Fender japan blood red jazzmaster (can be seen in shiksa music video.) I recently bought a Gibson antique sunburst 335 (seen in hate everyone video and live) and my newest one is a Gibson les Paul, tobacco suburst.
My pedals start with a boss reverb, into a line 6 d-4, a boss tremelo, into a boss equalizer (set to mix with heavy distortion), into full tone full drive 2 distortion pedal (our main distortion for every song), into lastly a boss tuner. We also have an orange foot switch on our pedal boards to do the obvious.
Trying to think of anything else I use.

Dreaming/Manhattan

Post by Dreaming/Manhattan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 5:13 am

Wow, thanks man. I'd been playing skinny top heavy bottom Erie Ball...kind of explains the extra twang I was having problems with.

I didn't expect such a good answer. ^.^

My main experience is unplugged, so knowing more about the types of dist. used also goes a long way towards showing me how to replicate the sounds without long bouts of trial n error.

Jeffanything

Post by Jeffanything » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:14 pm

Dreaming/Manhattan wrote:Wow, thanks man. I'd been playing skinny top heavy bottom Erie Ball...kind of explains the extra twang I was having problems with.

I didn't expect such a good answer. ^.^

My main experience is unplugged, so knowing more about the types of dist. used also goes a long way towards showing me how to replicate the sounds without long bouts of trial n error.
No problem. I'll take some pics of the pedals and upload them for settings.

Scott
Legend

Re: Say Anything Guitars

Post by Scott » Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:23 pm

Jeff posted this on his twitter:
Attachments
lqvnc.jpg
lqvnc.jpg (61.4KiB)Viewed 11650 times