Song Writing Help??

Musicians discuss things. Anything musician related. You can also use this forum to learn about the Say Anything sound! Discuss the gear, settings, and other misc things used by Say Anything in the studio and out: amps, guitars, effects, basses, drums-- whatever!
Angst!
Song Writing Help??

Post by Angst! » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:23 pm

So i've been using this forum to learn for a while but now that i'm a half way decent guitarist i was hoping to get some song writing help, mainly with guitar parts and lyrics, i'm a bassist tecnically so my guitar efforts generally fail at being amazing. also i seem to be running into the problem with lyrics, everything i write is to the tempo of a SA song, which sucks so i may need help changing entire parts and such to make it original. would this be cool with people?

Scott
Legend

Re: Song Writing Help??

Post by Scott » Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:15 am

just post some stuff you got and i'm sure some people would help
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

drugshavemymind

Post by drugshavemymind » Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:00 am

Hey I write songs too. I used to write songs (lyrically and musically) that were mimics of Say Anything songs. I found writing all the lyrics down in one long sentence/paragraph helps to find a different melody/tempo etc.

Thought that might help.
______

shot up through the sky by a canon of sin.

crbrazil

Post by crbrazil » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:08 pm

I do that too^ also writing sonnets really helps. i try write at least one a day in class. once you focus on syllables that much, melodies and rhythm just fall into place easier. Plus, chicks dig a poet ;)
was i born to sink into this couch

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:55 pm

I normally write a melody with
improv lyrics and then put music around it And then make proper lyrics
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

OneHeartAtATime

Post by OneHeartAtATime » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:15 pm

There was one way I experimented with writing and it worked perfectly. There was an ATL demo that was really crappy, but the bass and drums were pretty distinct, I would turn it up in my headphones and ignore the vocals, focusing on the rhythm, and sing out my ideas, it worked really well, and any type of demo works, because there's very litlle else going on to have to drown out. [:

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:20 pm

Ahh so you practice being a vocalist eh hahaha. I guess after you just write new music?

drugshavemymind

Post by drugshavemymind » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:43 am

crbrazil wrote:I do that too^ also writing sonnets really helps. i try write at least one a day in class. once you focus on syllables that much, melodies and rhythm just fall into place easier. Plus, chicks dig a poet ;)
Dude you have no idea how well I pull when I say "yeah, I write poetry and lyrics.. It's pretty cool"
Also I think most high school chicks are stonkin' for anyone with any sort of notion of musical talent i.e in a band.
______

shot up through the sky by a canon of sin.

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:11 am

yeah girls are suckers for that in high school, in college it completely switches because you only meet girls who are drunk, and at that point they just wanna be attracted to you and rubbing against your... yeah

OneHeartAtATime

Post by OneHeartAtATime » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:41 pm

Not true! I'm in college and I don't get smashed and rub on Johnsons! (:
AND I appreciate [REAL] music... maybe that makes me weird. Ha.