You Rock Guitar

Musicians discuss things. Anything musician related. You can also use this forum to learn about the Say Anything sound! Discuss the gear, settings, and other misc things used by Say Anything in the studio and out: amps, guitars, effects, basses, drums-- whatever!
DhamaBum
You Rock Guitar

Post by DhamaBum » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:44 pm

Has anyone seen this?
http://www.yourockguitar.com/
http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/mu ... ments/d37d

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG4SY7xf0g0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-2sd4od ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIzKH-v8 ... re=related

I know this will get plenty of shit, but it's kind of amazing. Dont think of it as a Guitar Hero controller with other functions, think of it as a full guitar Midi controller, electric guitar, and digital guitar with 25 different guitar sets(as of yet, they release new sound sets on the website for like 99 cents), 50 synth sets, drum tracks, and and play-along tracks... which also happens to work as a GH controller.

Mine is shipping to me right now, and I cant wait to play it. As of yet I only have an acoustic and an electric a friend is letting me borrow. For 200 bucks, there's virtually nothing you can complain about with this thing. Best bang for it's buck, and I've heard numerous advantages with this over other midi guitars in the 1000-2000 dollar range.

This will be AWESOME for constructing you own music, but think of the possibility of fully covering a Say Anything song(Bass, lead, rythm, drums, and keyboard) with just a single instrument. I'm thinking of working on a few tracks with this, if they're decent I'll post them.

Any thoughts about this?

chiben18

Re: You Rock Guitar

Post by chiben18 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:40 am

Any thoughts about this?

i like it!
Where would you like to Buy WOW Gold? Please tell me about the WOW Gold.

DhamaBum

Post by DhamaBum » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:47 pm

I really like mine actually, I've had to stop myself from plaing it til 4 AM, and all afternoon lately cause of a test, but I really like mine.

I dont use any of the internal sounds ever. They're alright, but maybe if they upgrade them a little they'd be more use, but it functions incredibly as a MIDI device. I've only started laying down a few original tracks, and after my test tomorrow I'm going to get into it more, but I use it with Acoustica Mixcraft 4.5 and it's flawless(essentially). No lag really, accurate and consistant. Only a few times do I have notes dropping out, but that could easily be my computer's fault.

For a 200 dollar MIDI instrument, there is NO better buy available. it feels a bit like a toy, but c'mon.. it practically is one. A sturdy toy, mind you, but plastic none the less.

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:16 pm

It looks like a pretty cool idea, although I have a midi keyboard that works just fine for me. I prefer to record guitar and bass live, but it would be useful for other instruments. I'm curious how it works in things like vibrato to instruments that don't really have it, or sustain like if you record a track meant for piano.

However, I'd still say programming drums with a mouse is going to be superior if you know what you're doing to any midi hack around it unless you have an electric kit, and even then programming will probably end up with a better product.
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

DhamaBum

Post by DhamaBum » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:29 pm

I cant do the drums with all mouse clicks, way too tedious for me. It's cool, cause the guitar has a 'tap' mode that lets it play a bit like a keyboard(no strumming, just press the frets and it sounds the notes) so I can just tap around a bit, and pretty much formulate a little beat. It's really simple and quick.

So far, I've had fun with this thing. I cant play keyboard(only because I havent taught myself yet, but I'm no stranger to the whole idea and theory behind it) so this works for me. There's also the unique voicings that only the guitar can acheive, which sounds not right when done on a keyboard. I'd record guitar live if I had a studio set up(my friends do, but I'm not over there enough), so this is fine for me. Mostly I want to make demos on this so I just have a basis for doing a full studio recording with more instruments. I'm using it with Mixcraft, which has a HUGE range of of VSTi's to use, so that's fun. The Cello's and violin instruments sound great, but I downloaded a few other instrument packs for acoustic guitars.

It just had a major update that cleared up almost all the issues I'd had before, now I'm hoping the internal sounds library is updated soon. Some of the guitars are just lame to me, and others arent recorded that well, but a few of them really shine thru.

I'm still dealing with some latency issues and missing notes, but I'd love to bust out some covers of SA songs. I have a VSTi sound which is like pizzicato strings and is identical to the 'Do Better' intro instrument, so that sounds really awesome. I need to do some tweaking to match the other instruments on other tracks, but it's really not that difficult to figure out.

For 200 bucks, this thing is a steal, and one of the best MIDI controllers on the market.

drugshavemymind

Post by drugshavemymind » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:07 am

I don't really know.. I'm not convinced. I mean, nothing wrong with it sure. But I have a really big hang up about computer generated sounds. Like keyboards, I really can't handle them, I prefer playing Piano. Same with guitars. The only effects pedals I like using are a bit of overdrive/distortion (for those angry days) and some slight reverb. But maybe. I dunno.
______

shot up through the sky by a canon of sin.

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:10 am

Computer generated sounds have gotten PRETTY good recently, where even commercial albums sometimes use Amp sims and stuff, but I just dont think the guitar can really handle all the midi inputs that well. Midi is a very picky animal, and I dont know how well it'd take pitch bends and things of that nature. It probably has settings against it. You should post a recording with it Dhama
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

OneHeartAtATime

Post by OneHeartAtATime » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:57 pm

Even if it doesn't sound good, it's a good way to practice, when you can switch it up and play around.