Music recording programs

Musicians discuss things. Anything musician related. You can also use this forum to learn about the Say Anything sound! Discuss the gear, settings, and other misc things used by Say Anything in the studio and out: amps, guitars, effects, basses, drums-- whatever!
DhamaBum
Music recording programs

Post by DhamaBum » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:20 am

So, what do the rest of the PlaySA'ers use to record audio tracks on their computer? I dont have a microphone, so if I want anything on a music recording program, I have to record thru an MP3 that supports it, then import it in, or use my Kaossilator Dynamic Phase Synthesizer with a line-in jack and record, and as of yet, I was using Audacity, which is a very simple audio tracking program, which is totally free. The only downside is, it doesnt support MIDI or VSTi's, so it's really only good for composing with recordings.

In anticipation of my new MIDI guitar on the way, I downloaded Acoustica Mixcraft 4, which is basically the windows equivalent of Garageband on mac, with MIDI support, and microphone support, with a loop system like Fruity Loops or FL Studio. Very simple to use, and has a ton of great instruments preloaded to use with the Piano Roll Loop system. I've only dicked around with it a bit today, but once I get my MIDI controller, I will be making much better use ot if. I dont know how well the drum machine will work with the guitar controller, so I am considering making all drum beats on my Kaossilator and all other melodies/harmonies on the guitar.

maxpemis

Re: Music recording programs

Post by maxpemis » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:51 pm

do have to pay to use acoustica mixcraft 4 or fruity loops?

DhamaBum

Post by DhamaBum » Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:57 am

They are both available on their respective websites for a fee. However, like anything on the Internet, they can be aquired for free.

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:12 pm

I have used Cubase and Garageband, but recently bought Logic Studio. It is a nice step up. I also have a Presonus Firepod and a M Audio Fast Track that I use to record things either from mics or direct.
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

OneHeartAtATime

Post by OneHeartAtATime » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:59 pm

Whatever is free. I need a job so I can fix this. Ha.