Electric Guitars?

Musicians discuss things. Anything musician related. You can also use this forum to learn about the Say Anything sound! Discuss the gear, settings, and other misc things used by Say Anything in the studio and out: amps, guitars, effects, basses, drums-- whatever!
OneHeartAtATime
Electric Guitars?

Post by OneHeartAtATime » Thu Oct 14, 2010 8:35 pm

So I play acoustic or acoustic/electric but I am looking to buy an electric guitar (solid body), preferably a set that comes with the amp, so I don't have to buy each individually. A few questions:

1) Are the smaller sized guitars just as good? I have really small hands, and a smaller fretboard would definitely help, but I'll stick to regular if the quality of the guitar is brought down.
2) Any good places to check for not to expensive guitars or do you know anyone who is selling one?
3) Any suggestions on what type to buy?

Thanks in Advance!

~Kristina.

Scott
Legend

Re: Electric Guitars?

Post by Scott » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:02 am

1) I have a Baby Taylor acoustic that was $300. I love it. I took it throughout Europe with me. It is study and it is fun to play on. It doesn't sound great but then again, you're doing this to play not to tour. To be honest on "quality" of expensive guitars.. yes they are nice, but that doesn't mean much. I personally have several guitars over $2000 and I majorily play with a $100 (pink) squier and that baby taylor. I just love how they feel and something about them. Also being cheap I throw them around and that's enjoyable. Lots of dents and I don't care.

2) I would say always always always go try the instrument first. There are many places that are better than guitar center with large selections. Up here in College Park there's this place Atomic Music that has tons of used gear and alot of it is dirt cheap.

3) Personally I love the squier strat, and it comes with an amp. I think it's a great value. I personally love Les Pauls as well, but they're pretty heavy and not really worth the effort sometimes. I also really REALLY love playing acoustic so I would always push towards an acoustic. My motto is if you can play it on an acoustic, you can play it on anything. I do most of my practicing on an acoustic if I can.

So basically just go to a store and try all the cheap guitars and see what feels right. Buy that one. You will know. If two are close, pick it based on color or somethign. it really doesn't matter.
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

OneHeartAtATime

Post by OneHeartAtATime » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks! That was super helpful, I might have to journey to CP and check that place out, and I totally agree, acoustic is my favorite.

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Fri Oct 15, 2010 3:39 pm

OneHeartAtATime wrote:Thanks! That was super helpful, I might have to journey to CP and check that place out, and I totally agree, acoustic is my favorite.

My friend got a Mark Hoppus bass at Atomic at a pretty good price. I had to pry myself from buying one of those Les Paul Jr's. You know the guitar Billie Joe Armstong from Green Day plays? I like how simple they are. Also want a Jaguar or a Mustang one day. Or a Jagstag! Whatever.
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

OneHeartAtATime

Post by OneHeartAtATime » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:57 pm

Yeah they are pretty nice, I always liked Strat style guitars, and never really was into the Ibanez, but I saw a few I liked, I was surprised. Too much metal music for me I think!

transylvanian

Post by transylvanian » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:47 pm

There you go, I was just coming in here to recommend the Baby Taylor.
If you want a real good electric with a very short scale, get a Fender Mustang. Kurt Cobain played them, he was a small dude. Drawback is you can only reach 21 frets as opposed to the usual 24... but unless you're SRV I don't think you'd care lol
Love, it will not betray you, dismay or enslave you.
It will set you free. Be more like the man you were made to be.
There is a design, an alignment, a cry of my heart to see
the beauty of love as it was meant to be.
Mumford & Sons

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:42 pm

transylvanian wrote:There you go, I was just coming in here to recommend the Baby Taylor.
If you want a real good electric with a very short scale, get a Fender Mustang. Kurt Cobain played them, he was a small dude. Drawback is you can only reach 21 frets as opposed to the usual 24... but unless you're SRV I don't think you'd care lol

I have plenty of guitars that are only 19 frets. I actually dont have a guitar that' 24 frets. You don't miss them!

OneHeartAtATime

Post by OneHeartAtATime » Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:52 pm

Yeah I'm nowhere near as good as that man, so I think I'd do just fine with 21. Thanks! (:

drugshavemymind

Post by drugshavemymind » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:11 am

I'd suggest, as far as solid-body goes (I prefer hollowbody's; I like that raspy sound) I'd suggest (assuming you're keen on like the SA sound/Punk etc in general) having a go on either an SG or some Danelectros. They're dirt cheap but bloody good fun. And I suggest Vox or Orange amps. Also, as far as buying like combos goes I wouldn't suggest it. Find out what sound you like from what ever guitar you choose and then mess try that with different amps. Most store's are really sweet about helping you out. But yeah, try second hand music stores are extra good cos they actually know a bit more about it all.
Hope that helps.
______

shot up through the sky by a canon of sin.

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:31 pm

I don't see why you would advise not to buy a combo. Say Anything themselves use Orange combos rather than half/full stacks with heads. There's nothing wrong with a combo!

Also, Say Anything live seems to mostly play Fender styled guitars, so for a say anything sound I would go with one of those.