Know of any good sites for learning guitar?

Musicians discuss things. Anything musician related. You can also use this forum to learn about the Say Anything sound! Discuss the gear, settings, and other misc things used by Say Anything in the studio and out: amps, guitars, effects, basses, drums-- whatever!
Strileckifunk
Know of any good sites for learning guitar?

Post by Strileckifunk » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:23 pm

Hey all, just wondering if you guys have happened to come across any decent free guitar lessons? I've tried google a few times but I feel like things are skipped and aren't gone enough into detail.

Norgan
Site Admin

Re: Know of any good sites for learning guitar?

Post by Norgan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:06 pm

I'm pretty sure I saw a bunch of video lessons on UltimateGuitar for some more popular songs before. I don't go there as much as I used to so I'm not certain. But from what I remember, the videos did a pretty damn decent job of helping you learn the songs and some techniques for playing them. Really helpful for learning some new songs and getting a feel for some semi-advanced guitar playing.

As for music theory and guitar playing in general, I don't know where you can find any kind of comprehensive, free lessons; although, DhamaBum started a thread about such stuff with pictures and diagrams. He knows his stuff for sure and it'll definitely get you moving down the music theroy road. Highly recommended! http://www.playsa.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=375
Norgan is a real boy!

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:38 pm

If you tell us where you're at, plenty of us could give you some tips on where to go. I'm self taught and most people here are as well, and the biggest thing I can say is you don't need need actual lessons, you can get a great foundation from just learning songs, and the musician-ness can come after you have your skill up. Then you don't have to worry about not being able to apply what theory you learn.

At this point for guitar, it just kinda feels like an extension of myself when I play. It's apart of me and I don't feel that awkwardness you do when you start and you try to push down the frets... when you get there its easy to pick up the music parts on the side.
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

tgreg

Post by tgreg » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:18 pm

This site is more for once you some what understand playing: http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/

but I would just sift through youtube for relevant lessons, its what I did. Or just ask here.

Strileckifunk

Post by Strileckifunk » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:24 pm

Basically I bought the guitar and thats where I'm at lol. I thought I'd have time to take some lessons but work and school just don't allow the time/money for it. Like I said most sites expect you to have some knowledge or tend to be vague on things...atleast ones I found. I started to learn to read tabs and simple finger picking and got frustrated with most of the "lessons" I found.

tgreg

Post by tgreg » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:32 pm

I'm not saying I'm good at guitar but the way I learned to play was by simply understanding tabs. Once I figured out how to read tabs and what the numbers meant and where i put my fingers and everything, I just looked up a song I knew and loved (a walk through hell) and sat there and tried to play it, for hours. I couldnt get but I didnt get frustrated, I just picked another song, and so on and so on. The important thing to realize with guitar is that all these guitarist that we love have been playing a long time, more than likely all there lives. In the grand scheme of things playing guitar for 2 or 3 years isn't even that long. It takes time and lots of practice. Just stick at it and always do songs you love so it will make it not seem like practice. Once you get the actual playing down then go and watch vids and get a grasp of the ideas that go behind the playing. Idk if this is making any sense, but you have a great community behind you on here. Good luck! :)

UpbeatDown

Post by UpbeatDown » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:36 am

http://www.justinguitar.com

That site really helped me for the first while. He covers basically everything you need to know, gives some theory, and his methods do work. Practice chord changes as he lays out and they will help ALOT (they're just really boring to do).