What's your gear?

Musicians discuss things. Anything musician related. You can also use this forum to learn about the Say Anything sound! Discuss the gear, settings, and other misc things used by Say Anything in the studio and out: amps, guitars, effects, basses, drums-- whatever!
nateorz
What's your gear?

Post by nateorz » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:01 pm

I saw the thread about electric guitars and I got curious as to what everyone here might have as their rig, or just gear in general.

I have a Gibson Les Paul Special from the early 2000s (you can't get them any more) that's my primary electric. I also have an ESP that I barely ever play. My setup is super basic for these right now: I run a BOSS DS-1 Distortion as my only pedal into a 2x12 Peavey Amp from the 70s. I'm way retro like that. I used to have a Dunlop Hendrix Wah but my friend jacked it like 7 years ago and I still haven't gotten it back. No clue what I have strung on my Gibby right now but when possible, I've always been a Dean Markley Blue Steel kinda guy. Dunlop strap locks in Gold are also pretty win.

My acoustic setup is a little bit lower end. I have a 12-string Harmony guitar from sometime in the 80s that I don't touch, a 70s Toyota (Martin knock-off) 6-string with RIDICULOUSLY HIGH action that I barely touch, and an Indiana 6-string that I do most of my playing on. Strung the Indiana with Elixir 80/20 bronze nanowebs. I love Elixir strings.

I use Dunlop Tortex Standard .73mm picks. They just feel perfectly balanced to me. I have a Mandolin, Banjo, and Keyboard also but I only use them for experimentation. Also, I have a Korg Chromatic tuner.

I think that's about all. If I figure out anything else, I'll edit this. Or maybe if I pick up any new gear I'll add it on in an edit. So that's it for me for now. What sorta stuff do you all have?
Every time I see your face, I die inside.

Scott
Legend

Re: What's your gear?

Post by Scott » Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:42 pm

I'm impressed you know all the dates to yours.. I don't.
I have a Gibson Les Paul Standard that I got when I was 17 so... 2005? I have a Gibson J185-EC (dashboard guitar?? haha) acoustic. I have a Fender Mex Fat Strat. I built a Strat out of Fender Parts that looks like Tom Delonge's Strat. I also have the first squier I ever had that I modified to hell with new wirings and pickups. I put a hot rod/rails (whatever the name is) in as the main pickup, this one is black with lots of scratches all over it. I have an Ovaction acoustic and a Taylor Baby acoustic. I also have a Alvarez Yairi YB1 Jumbo Baritone guitar. Finally I do most of my playing (believe it or not) on a pink squier that isn't mine. I love that pink son of a bitch.

For amps I mostly play unamped since I live in an apartment at college, but here I have a squier practice amp. At home I have an old Peavey combo (can't remember it) and the Bogner/Line Six tube amp is my main amp (the Bogner Amp with line 6 effects, I bought it cause it was a cheap bogner).

For effects I really don't use any (I always use the amp's distortion, that's why you buy the damn amp!), but stored up I have a Boss chromatic tuner, a Boss ME-50 multi effects pedal, a Boss digital delay, and a Boss Metal Zone I think. Most of these are remnants from when I was between 11-13 yrs old.

Funny you mention pics. I always always always and only play on Dunlop Tortex 1 mm picks. As you said yours feel balanced to you, without a thick pick it makes things like sweep and speed picking much harder. You just learn to adapt for strumming. Recently though my GF got me custom picks made for my birthday that say "I love kelly" on them with a picture of the cover of Blink's Buddah. They are also 1 mm.

Strings i normally am not too picky but lately I like Ernie Ball extra slinky 09 on my electric and elixers (light) on my acoustics. I used to play with 11's on my electrics and 13+'s on my acoustics but I gave that shit up. I was sick of heavy strings (I normally tuned just to E with them as well, but at one point I was tuned mostly to C# standard).

I also have 2 or 3 korg chromatic tuners...

Otherwise I have a Yamaha 44 key keyboard, a Mapex drum set, a Yamaha baby grand piano (my parents obviously), a broken violin, a Melodica, a fiberglass (or something) Ocarina (like on Zelda), and ukulele (which I hate those things..)

That is about most of it. I really want to buy one of those $3000 Taylor acoustics one day. I love them so much. I really like my Gibson but its a jumbo and its huge... I'd like something smaller.
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

nateorz

Post by nateorz » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:43 pm

Good shit, dude. Really good shit. Also, I totally feel you on those $3k Taylor acoustics. I'm basically in love with Taylors. The way they sound, the way they feel...it's like a guitargasm for me. I just can't afford one lol.

More gear peoples! :D
Every time I see your face, I die inside.

Revenge!!!

Post by Revenge!!! » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:24 pm

Lemme help this thred along a bit shall I? :)

Electric: Epiphone Les Paul Studio 100. Used to have a Wall-Mart brand Strat for like 4 years, I finally got a decent paying job and traded for my epiphone as soon as I could.

Acoustic: Some Newer Yamaha brand, has decent action. Can't complain too much. Had to buy it because I used to have an old acousic that sounded amazing. I forgot the make though. Then my sister got a hold of it and broke the neck -_-. So now im stuck with a newer less aged acoustic.

Amp: Fender. Thats all I really know about it. Has distortion so I don't complain.

Dont have any pedals or anything, thinkin about gettin a wah pedal soon.

Also play piano on a 12 year old Yamaha Electric Keyboard and have a (now stowed in the attic) burnswood drumbset.
I am too afraid to like you,
I can't find a word to speak.
But, if i could, i'd talk so good
that you would be with me.

tgreg

Post by tgreg » Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:21 am

2009 Fender MIM Tele through a Vox Valvetronix VT15. Also have a Epiphone SG (School of Rock Edition) and a Switch Stealth guitar (which is pretty BA even though its neglected, completely made out of hardened foam)

I also have/share a 1976 Martin D-28 and up at school I have a shitty Squire acoustic.

ACertainTypeOfGenius

Post by ACertainTypeOfGenius » Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:47 am

Guitars:
MIM Fender Strat
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Gardisten (no-name brand?) acoustic

Basses:
Squier P-Bass

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix VT15
Fender Rumble 15

Effects:
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive
Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Boss DS-1

Keyboards:
Midistart Miditech Music 25
Medeli MC70

Mostly cheap-ish stuff, in other words. Hopefully when I get a job I'll be able to afford more expensive gear.
I also have various mics that I use for recording and such.
You're no witch, you're no wench, you're like Björk with better fashion sense.

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:54 pm

Maybe we should make a recording gear thread. I didn't post any of mine...
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

UpbeatDown

Post by UpbeatDown » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:34 am

Guitars:
Yamaha FG700S - Probably the best acoustic in its price range. Good sound, action, everything. I was really happy with this one.
Fender Strat - Not exactly the best electric, but I got it for free so I can't complain. Does distortion well. Decent guitar, I'm satisfied with it.
Some Johnson guitar - Just a cheap little acoustic I got that I can bring with me anywhere without caring much. Its actually got a pretty nice sound to it. Its also nice to keep around in a different tuning.

Keyboard:
M-Audio Axiom 49 - Picked it up as open box on ebay for almost half retail price. Took 3 weeks of bidding, but I finally got a really cheap one. Great keyboard, decent feel to the keys, has drum pads, levers, knobs...everything you could need really.

Mic:
Shure SM57 - Probably the best $100 mic out there. Amazing at recording acoustic, also handles vocals quite well. Very happy with this one.

Software:
Ableton Live - Its a DAW, they're pretty much all the same to me. Nothing special, but works really well.
Native Instruments Komplete - AMAZING program(s). I highly suggest going to the NI website and getting a trial version...especially of Guitar Rig.

I've really gotta get some more electric gear. I've got some half decent amps, but no pedals or anything. I can route the guitar to my pc and use guitar rig for all the effects, but it's not quite the same.