garageband

Musicians discuss things. Anything musician related. You can also use this forum to learn about the Say Anything sound! Discuss the gear, settings, and other misc things used by Say Anything in the studio and out: amps, guitars, effects, basses, drums-- whatever!
crbrazil
garageband

Post by crbrazil » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:18 pm

i used it once and liked it a lot. i don't have a mac so does anytone know a good substitute? or better yet, what do you use and like for recording at home?
was i born to sink into this couch

tgreg

Re: garageband

Post by tgreg » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:24 pm

audacity is free.. its kinda poopy though. haha

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:47 pm

there really isn't a free DAW that is any good... only cheap ones. If you buy something like a Presonus Firepod or a starter interface they'll give you an LE version of some big DAWS like Presonus has its own Studio One which was by the original makers of cubase which I hear is decent. M Audio comes with Pro Tools LE. You pretty much get what you pay for 100%
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

ACertainTypeOfGenius

Post by ACertainTypeOfGenius » Wed Oct 27, 2010 8:16 am

I've heard that Reaper is a really good DAW. It's pretty cheap too (somewhere around $40-50 I think). I tried it a few years ago when I just started recording stuff, and I liked it. There's a trial version for it, and if I'm not mistaken you're still able to use the program when the trial period (30 days) is over.
You're no witch, you're no wench, you're like Björk with better fashion sense.

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:26 am

Yeah I have heard that about reaper but the main problem with a cheap daw is the built in plugins are going to be terrible no matter what way you look at it. To have even decent enough plugins to start learning to craft you need to get serious and buy something that comes with them. Cubase is really easy to pick up and Studio One is supposed to be the same. I currently use Logic and I love it. But yeah you said you can't use that. Logic is alittle different from Cubase but I made the transition easily. You just need to pick one, get it and learn it. They all work about the same.
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

ACertainTypeOfGenius

Post by ACertainTypeOfGenius » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:55 am

Well, I use Cubase, and the built-in plugins doesn't sound very good there either, but I definitively see what you're getting at. :)

There's a ton of free plugins out there that sounds great, too (a tip: look up the Kjaerhus Audio Classic Series, they're really awesome! They've become an essential staple in my recordings).
You're no witch, you're no wench, you're like Björk with better fashion sense.

Barry Egan

Post by Barry Egan » Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:05 am

Yay Garageband!

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:15 pm

To be fair stock plugins only sound as good as the user. There are professional that mix with mostly stock plugins from Logic and Pro Tools and get something lightyears above what we get and the reason is simple... they track better than we do firstmost and secondly they probably know more about the plugins and how they work to achieve a sound.

Tracking is the MOST IMPORTANT aspect of recording which is often overlooked. The mics, the position, the room, the player, the instrument, the amps... etc all play a larger role than anything you do during mixing or mastering. Some of the best sounding albums only mix as a way to balance levels and barely do any effects of any kind. If you listen to Butch Vig's mixes of Nirvana's Nevermind and listen to the mastered final copy its clear who is better...

drugshavemymind

Post by drugshavemymind » Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:56 am

Barry Egan wrote:Yay Garageband!
completely unrelated (I use audacity myself for the actual digital recordings, I have like compressors and EQs and mixing boards themselves anyway.. it's way easier to use for me cos I'm a tactile person and it gets a fair bit of a better sound as far as digital mixing goes..) but the point of this post was, what is that photo? it's bloody cool.

Oh and logicpro is awesome from what I've seen people do with it. I'll stick to my 4-tracks though.
______

shot up through the sky by a canon of sin.

Barry Egan

Post by Barry Egan » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:53 pm

drugshavemymind wrote:
Barry Egan wrote:Yay Garageband!
what is that photo? it's bloody cool.
It is from the video for the song "Two Weeks" by Grizzly Bear.