Secret Origins not so Secret

A place to discuss with fellow fans Say Anything and anything else!
Scott
Legend
Re: Secret Origins not so Secret

Post by Scott » Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:53 pm

starkiller is right I just had this confirmed to me recently. He did the acoustic demos in a studio and he liked the takes so much he reused them on the album.

To drugs, alot of the time bands record acoustic guitar and clean guitar behind distorted guitars to make the sound seem more "full." It's a common production trick. Some bands that have really REALLY full sounding guitars on their record can record upwards of 10 guitar tracks of the same part using different amps/guitars/ways of hitting the strings/mics.. etc and then they just blend them all together for the sound and push it back in the mix so it'll just support the main few takes.
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

Norgan
Site Admin

Post by Norgan » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:03 am

drugshavemymind wrote:But I'm stoked on the Secret Origins, I reckon it's great to have a stripped down version of the album. I'm kinda bummed he didn't put all the songs on. I love the Spin Session version of Crush'd and I'd like to hear how things like Do Better and Mara and Me (which have that sort of keyboard, 80s vibe going, which is awesome; but it'd be call to hear them stripped down as well).
Yeah I was hoping for more of the songs to be on there too. I'd die for an acoustic Mara and Me.
Norgan is a real boy!

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:12 am

Why did you ask for that with your song shop? Apparently there has been whole song shop EP's people have bought.
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

drugshavemymind

Post by drugshavemymind » Sun Oct 10, 2010 1:27 am

Scott wrote:Why did you ask for that with your song shop? Apparently there has been whole song shop EP's people have bought.
.. wait, what?

Also thanks for the insight on guitar tracks. I'm gonna try that with some of my recordings.
______

shot up through the sky by a canon of sin.

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:31 am

Yeah people have bought entire EPs from the songshop.

drugshavemymind

Post by drugshavemymind » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:53 am

Scott wrote:Yeah people have bought entire EPs from the songshop.
Wait, like.. They got Max to write an EP amount of songs or..? (that's so cool if it's true!)
______

shot up through the sky by a canon of sin.

crbrazil

Post by crbrazil » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:54 am

it's a new feature. you scroll to the bottom and email him. you get a discount per song when you buy an ep of them
was i born to sink into this couch

OneHeartAtATime

Post by OneHeartAtATime » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:47 pm

I love how much I learn from these forums, I click ones I know nothing about and boom, educated!