Say Anything / Motion City Tour Discussion

A place to discuss with fellow fans Say Anything and anything else!
kaitlynox
Re: Say Anything / Motion City Tour Discussion

Post by kaitlynox » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:26 pm

I went to the Milwaukee show on the 27th & the Detroit show on the 3rd, was front row for both, but Detroit was a million times better!

Milwaukee was definitely lacking in fans (lack of fans = zero energy). Valencia was alright, Saves the Day was alright, Say Anything was awesome. But I did feel like I was the only person screaming the lyrics (bummer). I didn't stay for Motion City though, I only know like two of their songs.

Like I said before, Detroit's show was sooo much better. I met Say Anything before the show inside the Fillmore (greatest moment of my life). A Great Big Pile of Leaves opened, & they were surprisingly really good. I also met them afterward; they were really cool. Saves the Day was also really good, & they actually had fans this time. The energy level was pretty high by the time Say Anything got to the stage. They put on an amazing show, best one I've been to. Max always gets the crowd jacked up & he always thanks everyone for coming, which is sweet. He jumped into the crowd 5 times, which was pretty epic. I was soaked by the end of the concert (gross) & it definitely took me a few days to recover (lots of bruises & sore a hell), haha. The only thing I was kind of bummed out about was that Motion City played last for both the shows I went to, & I really wanted to see Say Anything's encore. Oh well, next tour I guess.
Last edited by kaitlynox on Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:11 am

alot of people are now jealous of you kaitlyn
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

Mailliw

Post by Mailliw » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:20 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqtSVce3 ... r_embedded

MCS with Max singing. Covering Nine Inch Nails. Its amazing.

afflictionate

Post by afflictionate » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:40 pm

kaitlyn, maybe it's where you were standing, but i was front row on the right side in milwaukee, and people were going apeshit! i'm glad you had a better experience and got to meet the guys in detroit, though.

transylvanian

Post by transylvanian » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:37 pm

I was at the Boston MA show, November 8th, @ HoB Boston... will do full review on my blog later, but here's the short version...
This was second time... previously in Lowell MA in March 2008.
Drove 7 hours wé my wife, mother, and brother from Fredericton to see them. Totally worth it. Boston is a great city for one thing, chilled at the Aquarium and Newbury Comics, etc.
First thing I did at the show was go right to thed front and get a spot at the railing. Never moved lol
But StD were solid... played a great set. I yelled out, "Rocks Tonic!"... and they played it. Great moment. Arun shreds.
aGBPoL were OK, kindof Weakerthans-ish, not as good though, obviously.
But then out came Justin Pierre et al., w/Max, singing Head like a Hole off of NIN's Pretty Hate Machine. "Epic" does not even convey it. I'm a pretty big NIN fan, too, so it was a little surreal...
And then they proceeded to play for an hour with all members of StD, Kenny from SA/The Starting Line, Jake, everybody, singing MCS songs.
It was a completely unique thing and those that were there witnessed a great night in emo history. Not even kidding.
Then SA played... and obviously, it was awesome. Max was a ball of fucking energy. Like, up there with Freddy Mercury in the frontman books!
But yeah... the sound was bad. Jeff's guitar parts couldn't be distinguished from Parker's and everything was tinny.
Also... I know people don't want to hear it... but Crush'd was a weak opener... I think "neutered" is the word. He should've played it acoustic. They just can't replicate that "Timbaland" feel live. Less Cute and Do Better also fell just slightly flat... the samples are kindof lame. Couldn't Parker play the trumpet/string parts on his synth?
That said, it was still a five stars awesome show, I'd go again in a heartbeat, grueling drive or no. Magic night.

BOUGHT: Say of the Living Anything tee, They're Ghouls (last copy!), Painful Splits, grey track jacket w/ Ivy-League kindof logo
SETS (links): StD ... don't know it, it was similar to the NJ set except with Freakish closer to the end and Rocks Tonic instead of You Vandal | MCS | SA
PHOTOS: Disclaimer... these were taken with a crappy camera my wife snuck in in her bra... so they are what they are. :)

Max singing with MCS

Kenny playing bass

Jeff with his snazzy candy apple Jag

Our vantage point
Love, it will not betray you, dismay or enslave you.
It will set you free. Be more like the man you were made to be.
There is a design, an alignment, a cry of my heart to see
the beauty of love as it was meant to be.
Mumford & Sons

pond

Post by pond » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:04 pm

I was one of the lucky ones to get a photo pass for one of their shows. I was at the Boston show on monday, and it was hands down the best show I've ever seen. I put some of the photos online, check them all out here - http://www.LPondPhotography.com.

transylvanian - I was standing just to your right by the side of the stage when I was done shooting

transylvanian

Post by transylvanian » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:27 pm

Yes, I remember seeing you and your fellow photographers standing over to the right of the stage!
Great shot to Kenny above
Love, it will not betray you, dismay or enslave you.
It will set you free. Be more like the man you were made to be.
There is a design, an alignment, a cry of my heart to see
the beauty of love as it was meant to be.
Mumford & Sons

lostintransit127

Post by lostintransit127 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:54 am

i was at the Boston HOB show and the show was abs amazing, yes the sound for some songs wasn't as good but this was my first time seeing say anything and it was absolutely amazing. i am also a huge MCS fan and i thought they pulled off that show with ease. even though the singer was sick they still played one of the best shows i've seen without a lead singer haha. but say anything were phenomenal with an amazing stage presence and precise playing. i also got to meet max, justin pierre of MCS and the guitarist and bassist of MCS as well. max was great to meet he was really chill and i got some photos as well. an amazing night by far!
Attachments
148536_449597656587_630001587_5433516_4715584_s.jpg
148536_449597656587_630001587_5433516_4715584_s.jpg (6.68KiB)Viewed 29541 times
75657_449597416587_630001587_5433511_1931522_s.jpg
75657_449597416587_630001587_5433511_1931522_s.jpg (6.91KiB)Viewed 29541 times

ThemDyingEars

Post by ThemDyingEars » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:37 pm

So I went on Wednesday. It was alright.

Sike, no. It was crazy awesome! Got there at 4:30 and ended up meeting two kids my age so between the four of us (I was with someone) we all buddied up for the night and it was just so rad.

Then we get in there, first freaking row. The night is looking good.

AGBPOL and Saves the Day play, and the crowd is pretty into it. It's all laughing and having a good time at this point.

But then, it's time. Say Anything comes on stage. Max in his sleeveless shirt. If anyone else was wearing that, they'd be a douche. Not Max, he is the man. Man, I thought all the "Max is so greatful" comments were exxagerated, but he really was. The crowd went CRAZY for Colorblind and by the time Belt came on, we had all basically lost it and were screaming. This sounds so lame, but when everybody in the room screamed "Woah!" at the end of Belt, it was the first time in a REALLY long time that I felt like I had belonged anywhere.

The crowd went through their transition (people leaving for SA, coming for MCS) but we stayed where we were because they're basically my second favorite band. Justin is a real soldier, man, going through 18 songs without even a hitch. Plus the guy is just a great entertainer. They played a setlist that was basically all of my favorite songs from them and, like with Belt, people were nuts by the time Everything is Alright was on.

After the show, we hung out with the kids we met for a while and bought some merch (Painful Splits and Say Anything pyramid t-shirt.) Then we went out to the buses to chill and we met Justin Pierre. He talked to us through gestures to preserve his voice, but it was silly and cute. Got a picture with him. No Max to be found, but I honestly wasn't expecting it.

AHHH. Anyway, it was so rad and I'm still buzzing from it. My ears were ringing forever.

danalovesmaxbemis

Post by danalovesmaxbemis » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:09 pm

freughreufewbbde. i went to the new jersey show. AMAZING. max blew me away <3