Impressions on Painful Splits

A place to discuss with fellow fans Say Anything and anything else!
Scott
Legend
Impressions on Painful Splits

Post by Scott » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:51 pm

Anyone have any impressions who have the record?
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

drugshavemymind

Re: Impressions on Painful Splits

Post by drugshavemymind » Sun Oct 17, 2010 11:43 pm

I was really surprised at the amount of re-verb he used. But I've really got into it. Like, it's all I've been listening to for the past two days. Just constantly on repeat. I'm kinda bummed about how short it is but I guess the quality over quantity thing applies a shit load. It's so amazing!
______

shot up through the sky by a canon of sin.

Mistle

Post by Mistle » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:52 am

I think it's decent. Sort of a mix between self-titled and pre-IaRB.
It's recorded in the same way of the song shops. So there's an excessive amount of reverb, but it's bearable. Kind of gives it a raw feel, though personally it really could do without so much reverb haha. I had the same problem with my song shop song. Max really loves cranking up that dial D:
But otherwise, it's a solid collection of songs. I can see some of them that, if developed further, could be outstanding.

If anybody hasn't got the album yet and would want more in depth details about specific songs, just let me know.

Norgan
Site Admin

Post by Norgan » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:58 am

I've not heard the painful splits songs yet. I'm going to buy it when they're here in MD next month, but I kind of want to not download it until I pay for it. Meh. I'll probably give in. I did the same with IDOTG. Waited a few days after it was online before I downloaded it, and then I bought it later as well.

@Mistle: I thought I was the only person who hated all of the reverb in the songshop songs I've been hearing on youtube and such. Reverb is fine if it's used as an artistic tool, but Max is really just using it non stop it seems. I know that'll be one of the first things I talk to him about when he gets around to calling me for my songshop: as little reverb as you need.
Norgan is a real boy!

Mistle

Post by Mistle » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:52 am

Can you ask him why he puts so much? Is he even aware of it? haha. Maybe it's not as noticeable through his speakers, who knows. I'm just really interested what his opinion on it is.

david_style6

Post by david_style6 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:15 am

Is there any songs on the CD that are good to jam out on guitar? like a song thats fun playing?
I miss you, girl. You're all that makes me true.

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:18 am

some people use reverb (alot of it) because it masks pitchyness. So on a home recording (which I bet these are) in garageband (that doesn't have any nice plugins) I'd bet that's part of the reason.
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

OneHeartAtATime

Post by OneHeartAtATime » Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:24 pm

It does hide small off key notes well, that certainly would make sense.

matthewshood

Post by matthewshood » Tue Oct 19, 2010 2:00 am

I'm trying to avoid listening to any of these songs until I buy my copy in Atlanta.. But once I get my copy I'll for sure be posting in here.

Norgan
Site Admin

Post by Norgan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:01 am

matthewshood wrote:I'm trying to avoid listening to any of these songs until I buy my copy in Atlanta.. But once I get my copy I'll for sure be posting in here.
I've been trying to do the same. Have to wait until they're in MD, though. Going to be a while still =\
Norgan is a real boy!