What's your major?

A place to discuss with fellow fans Say Anything and anything else!
Scott
Legend
Re: What's your major?

Post by Scott » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:04 pm

afflictionate wrote:i'm a senior in high school, and i have no idea what to do! i kind of want to be a road/tour manager for bands, but i don't know if i could handle that my entire life. i'm thinking about becoming a social worker.

when did you guys figure out what you wanted to do? i'm in that very confused phase right now. :|

honestly, I figured out what I wanted to do the second my parents stopped giving me everything I wanted. I realized right then in there I wanted money, I didn't care how I got it, and I want the most of it possible because money funds everything I want to do, and I rather be happy doing things I want to do when I'm not at work, then working in a job I like at first but grow to hate and then I'm stuck with no money.

For example, this website costs over a hundred dollars a year... I couldn't just give that money away if I was a teacher (the main job for my degree seemingly)...
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

bugsandsnakes

Post by bugsandsnakes » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:32 pm

Scott wrote:At one point I was Math Education... did you find the education portion of your classes to be a total joke? My school's education program is like a 8th grade English program.. Read and comprehend...
No, I enjoy them and think they are useful. I go to Missouri State University, which is actually know for its education program (used to be called SMS btw).
Calmly gorging myself

bandofoutsiders

Post by bandofoutsiders » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:07 pm

afflictionate wrote:i'm a senior in high school, and i have no idea what to do! i kind of want to be a road/tour manager for bands, but i don't know if i could handle that my entire life. i'm thinking about becoming a social worker.

when did you guys figure out what you wanted to do? i'm in that very confused phase right now. :|
I really didn't know until I did an internship last summer, and knowing me I will probably change my mind again. Don't worry too much about it yet, take a variety of classes at college hopefully you'll find something you like!

Barry Egan

Post by Barry Egan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:37 pm

failureisangular wrote:Double major in finance and economics @ FSU!
Woah woah woah woah woah. Creative Writing major at FSU. Represent!

Strileckifunk

Post by Strileckifunk » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:37 pm

Norgan wrote:Computer Science and Information Technology: Programming. Apparently I'm a nerd.

Right there with you except I'm going for Network Administration then back again eventually for computer engineering.

Norgan
Site Admin

Post by Norgan » Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:52 pm

Strileckifunk wrote:
Norgan wrote:Computer Science and Information Technology: Programming. Apparently I'm a nerd.

Right there with you except I'm going for Network Administration then back again eventually for computer engineering.
Ha! Between the two of us we should pretty much know every single thing there is to know about computers and technology. Awesome!
Norgan is a real boy!

matthewshood

Post by matthewshood » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:09 am

Scott wrote:We have people touch on it in the introduction thread... but that thread is now too long. So if you're in college what's your major? And if you're in high school... what do think you want your major to be? And if you're in middle school you probably shouldn't post here.

My major is Math. I have a number theory quiz in an hour.... .bskjhdfskjh

A number theory quiz? May God be with you. I really have no idea what I'm doing in college. I have no real major, I'm just taking basic courses. It's difficult for me to focus or give much attention to school because I'm so interested in music.. I don't know what else to do with myself.

Norgan
Site Admin

Post by Norgan » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:24 am

matthewshood wrote:I really have no idea what I'm doing in college. I have no real major, I'm just taking basic courses. It's difficult for me to focus or give much attention to school because I'm so interested in music.. I don't know what else to do with myself.
Why not major in a musical field? You can go the technical/business side of things and learn the industry and all how to run a studio, or go on the performance/art side and fine tune your guitar skills and musical knowledge. My friend is taking a DCOM class and as a project he needs to record some stuff and do some mastering; this translates into him having full control of the school's studio tomorrow for a few hours so he and I can record some songs together and just be awesome in general.
Norgan is a real boy!

matthewshood

Post by matthewshood » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:32 am

Norgan wrote:
matthewshood wrote:I really have no idea what I'm doing in college. I have no real major, I'm just taking basic courses. It's difficult for me to focus or give much attention to school because I'm so interested in music.. I don't know what else to do with myself.
Why not major in a musical field? You can go the technical/business side of things and learn the industry and all how to run a studio, or go on the performance/art side and fine tune your guitar skills and musical knowledge. My friend is taking a DCOM class and as a project he needs to record some stuff and do some mastering; this translates into him having full control of the school's studio tomorrow for a few hours so he and I can record some songs together and just be awesome in general.
Yes yes, you're right. I've thought about those possibilities myself. Like majoring in recording engineering or various other positions in the field. That's super cool though, and I would really love to learn to do those things on a professional level.. I'm just struggling with school so much, it's awful. I think it's mostly just because I'm lazy about it and extremely disinterested.

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:07 am

yeah if you don't have any interest you're gonna get fucked in classes no matter how smart you are. The guy who wrote my introduction to Real Analysis book (hard shit) said he took a car mechanic class once and couldn't understand anything yet the guy is a genius so it really boils down to if you care enough to focus.
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.