Favorite movie

A place to discuss with fellow fans Say Anything and anything else!
Scott
Legend
Re: Favorite movie

Post by Scott » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:23 pm

He wasted my time and took my money for a terrible movie that shouldn't have ever been made. Kinda like what a con artist does. They present something as one way... and then give you something totally different. The preview did not make it out to be the indie bore-fest that it was.
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

bemdog

Post by bemdog » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:30 pm

I don't get all the hate for Michael Cera. I mean he is not an amazing actor but he fits perfectly into that one specific role. While I didn't like Youth In Revolt I wouldn't call it an indie movie though. His other movie Paper Heart is indie, and that one to me was far worse.
filled with fire, I'm drinking gasoline to make it go faster

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:58 pm

I clump more things into "indie" than some may. If it feels like its not mainstream I instantly put it into indie regardless. Lots of foreign films go there as well. I wouldn't go see that Paper Heart movie lol. I do remember plenty of reviews saying it had that "indie" / hipster feel. Maybe thats a better word. When I say indie I mean people who listen to indie music and are hipster type people. You know, the Admit it! Crowd.
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

bemdog

Post by bemdog » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:46 pm

I see your point. Paper Heart is not good and I actually didn't really like Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist either, but I did think Scott Pilgrim was pretty good. I hate pretentious people who like obscure things just to be different also, but that doesn't mean I don't like some indie type movies and music. I mean people could say the same things about us for liking Say Anything as they are not necessarily mainstream. It's funny because when I first heard Admit it, I realized how much of a douchebag I was at the time.
filled with fire, I'm drinking gasoline to make it go faster

david_style6

Post by david_style6 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:52 pm

I agree with you on Youth and Revolt. its just such a fail compared to the book. i absolutely hate it when the movie doesnt stick to the book.
I miss you, girl. You're all that makes me true.

Norgan
Site Admin

Post by Norgan » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:32 pm

The whole indie term can get rather annoying with movies. I've noticed for a while now that a lot of movies coming out that have been called indie, truly aren't indie. Just because something is made to appeal to the indie/hipster crowd doesn't mean it's indie. I completely understand people using the term though... guess we just have to spell out the whole word independent now.

Speaking of which, my favorite Independent Film maker Richard Linklater is the guy behind my favorite movie Waking Life. Unless anyone else has seen it I'm not going to go into details about it, it can get confusing if you've not seen it. I've seen almost all of Richard Linklater's other films too and they're almost all amazing! Slacker, Dazed and Confused, Before Sunrise, Before Sunset, Tape, Me and Orson Wells... I loved them all! There are a few recurring symbols and themes in a lot of his movies and it turns me on.
Norgan is a real boy!

crbrazil

Post by crbrazil » Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:40 pm

american beauty
donnie darko
the fountain
fight club
was i born to sink into this couch

ThemDyingEars

Post by ThemDyingEars » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:35 am

Fight Club
Donnie Darko
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Pan's Labyrinth
Butterfly Effect
American Beauty
Breakfast Club

It sorta just goes on and on like that. But I also loved Scott Pilgrim vs. The World DESPITE usually hating everything Cera touches.

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:55 am

From this conversation I tried the Scott Pilgrim comic and couldn't get past the art quality and the slow start to the story. Read like 3 chapters?

crbrazil

Post by crbrazil » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:13 am

i forgot about eternal sunshine of the spotless mind!!

speaking of comics that are movies, what did y'all think about kick ass?
was i born to sink into this couch