New Record

Ask the band questions! Please leave inappropriate displays of affection for twitter.
bugsandsnakes
New Record

Post by bugsandsnakes » Thu Oct 14, 2010 10:00 am

I was wondering if Max or someone could talk a bit about the forthcoming record?
Calmly gorging myself

tgreg

Re: New Record

Post by tgreg » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:33 pm

Unless someone from the band chimes in, I'm going to say this is all we have for now (its from Max's "The Future of Say Anything" blog):
As of now, we have just begun writing a new Say Anything record, which will be released on a new label, most likely next year. However, we plan on approaching making this record in a way that I think will really excite you guys. Basically, as a band that grew up in Los Angeles, we were keyed into commerciality and "marketability" from an obscenely young age. Before we even recorded our first demo I was playing acoustic showcases for major labels.... we were sort of forced into looking at music from a commercial angle without even knowing it. That isn't to say everything we've created since then has been bull. In fact, since we're not mindless, soulless pieces of crap, that aspect of our formation sort of just grew into a keen sense of pop production and the will to have open ended music we could share with a lot of people.

The negative of that aspect, however, has caused us to have to worry about things that affect the artistic process and stifle creativity. For every percentage of amazing purely creative things that go into making a record, there is always a LARGE percent of it that involves bending over backwards to please the label, trying to be a huge band, and focusing too much on accessibility rather than what makes the band special. Some of you may have even sensed that and felt an aversion to what it's compelled in our music. Either way we aren't letting that demon into the recording process for our next record. It's one thing to listen to input and want success; it's another to build a record around what other people think. We in Say Anything have decided the only damn way we're even going to make another record is if we expel the devil out of making music. That doesn't mean we won't have catchy songs or want our band to reach tons of people. It just means we're going to make a record that embraces and FOCUSES on the quirks of Say Anything, and the things that you guys have led us to feel are the more important touchstones of the band: something that's as punk as it is post-punk, strong, original/ unusual songwriting, black humor, tons of creativity and honesty as well as a lot of good old fashioned piss and vinegar, plus whatever it is indefinably that makes our best songs our best songs.

We want to dive headfirst into what is TRUE about our band while simultaneously kicking our songwriting and musicianship ten years into the future, We have thought a lot about how Wilco turned their career upside down with Yankee Hotel Foxtrot by taking the best parts of their band and amplifying the most odd and endearing aspects of it while maturing light years ahead. It may not have been what their label wanted at first, but it was what WE, their fans all wanted, and most importantly, the BAND itself wanted. Thus they redefined the band and ignited their career in a whole new, much more substantial direction. We aren't going to make a "back to basics" clone of our old material but we plan on the music being able to compete in its rawest sense with our old stuff. If Is a real boy is a factor, it's that we have a milestone in that record that we want to finally outdo. Screw not caring; we want to win over all of you who think that that record is the end-all-be-all of SA, so expect that if that's your favorite record by us, you're going to love this new one.

So for those of you who have been begging for this direction from the band; something edgier, something crazier, something more progressive and wackier, something more SAY ANYTHING and not so everybody-else, we invite you to join us in this new chapter and stay tuned for what we hope is what you've been waiting for this whole time. We in no way want to undermine how very proud we are of the last three records we've made, and they did come straight from our hearts and will always be a proud as them as we are of anything we create. It's just that we think it's an appropriate time to draw a line in the sand and say time to take this all a bit more seriously and make an ARTISTIC statement rather than whatever is going to make us popular amongst fans of, well, to be frank..... Crappy music.
All I can say is that this gets me quite excited, especially because I like all the "hues" of say anything so im sure whatever he puts out will be bad ass.

transylvanian

Post by transylvanian » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:41 pm

Basically, they're going back to the ...iaRB sound, at least for this record.
Recently Max tweeted that he was done song #7.

I'm thinking in the interest of brevity we'll call it LP5 until we know the title...?
Love, it will not betray you, dismay or enslave you.
It will set you free. Be more like the man you were made to be.
There is a design, an alignment, a cry of my heart to see
the beauty of love as it was meant to be.
Mumford & Sons

Scott
Legend

Post by Scott » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:41 pm

we could call it IARB2
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

transylvanian

Post by transylvanian » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:13 pm

Scott wrote:we could call it IARB2
We could do that.
Mumford & Sons

crbrazil

Post by crbrazil » Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:54 pm

transylvanian wrote:
Scott wrote:we could call it IARB2
We could do that.
let's do that
was i born to sink into this couch

transylvanian

Post by transylvanian » Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:13 am

agreed then, IARB2
it has big shoes to fill... :)
Mumford & Sons

steveo
Legend

Post by steveo » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:23 am

Max said on his twitter that the record will be "dark"

looking forward to it
Oh, I'll be around to pick your pretty heart right off the ground when all this
fucking fashion brings you down.
http://www.purevolume.com/stevearuilioistheman

transylvanian

Post by transylvanian » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:18 pm

I mean, the s/t was dark enough, right?
Eloise, Death for my Birthday, Ahhh Men, Property, Cemetary
All dark in their own way. And super good.
Mumford & Sons

ThemDyingEars

Post by ThemDyingEars » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:27 pm

I'm pretty stoked for anything they could possibly do. Baseball was the first album I heard from them way back when it just came out, and it's sort of what I latched onto when I became interested in them again. Because of that, I was REALLY stubborn about IDOTG and SA, they just didn't have the same "heart" to me. But now I've grown to love everything, and I just use the different styles to coincide with my different moods. I will admit though, the idea that it will be "darker" is a nice one. I am just looking forward to any and all material from them. Still haven't found a song (and I've listened to all of them to my knowledge) that I don't like.