Spidersong

Scott
Legend
Re: Spidersong

Post by Scott » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:56 pm

yeah maybe he means it in the "break his heart" kinda way
Self-inflicted or not, I find myself on the farthest star, foreign to everything like I woke up with a German tongue.

Ronnie

Post by Ronnie » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:56 am

I see this song as him trying to get a girl to fall for him through manipulation so that he can take advantage of her. By calling himself a spider, he's basically calling himself poisonous. "I better watch my back around you. You've got the moves, the shoes, but do you got me?" IMHO he's paranoid and afraid to fall in love with her. "You've got those tired eyes, all the time. Yea you need someone to bring you to bed" could either be Max sweet talking her so that he can sleep with her.
"I am too afraid to dig you" kinda proves that he's afraid to love her, because he fears being heartbroken.
"I'm cool, too cold to call you. Far too stoned to leave my bed, I'll write this song to win your kiss but stay asleep instead..." He's saying that he's distancing himself from her due to fear of falling in love that he'd rather get high than spend his time talking on the phone with her/OR he's just too selfish to care.
For those non-conformists, you conformed the moment you decided that you didn't wish to conform. By not conforming you've conformed.
Nice job kids.

Dreaming/Manhattan

Post by Dreaming/Manhattan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:14 am

In Native American lore, the spider is a symbol of wisdom.

you see, spiders aren't always negative symbols...and love isn't always a good thing. Let me illustrate what spidersong means to me by telling you a story.

Our protagonist wanted a girl, but not just any girl. A certain girl who had always seemed special, though he wasn't sure why. He feared that. Feared the unknown, feared her feminine wit and fluidity.

She was interested in him, but somehow he knew he wouldn't make the moves he needed to. Something kept eating away at him, burning him up inside like caustic chemical burns.
She gave him every opportunity to act but his fear got the best of him. He sat by and watched her fall into every carefully woven web...he felt like a fly on the wall.

As the fly, he never got to even touch her world. She could swat him away. If I were in that situation, I'd idolize the spider too. Smooth, fluid, powerful, venomous, wise, mysterious, and brooding...what girl wouldn't want the spider, the dark anti-hero?

I got way too into my story. Last time I post drunk. Hopefully you got my point. I don't think Bemis is speaking as himself AND the spider simultaneously. I believe the outro is himself...and the spider is another side of him or a way he wished he was.

Dreaming/Manhattan

Post by Dreaming/Manhattan » Thu Oct 14, 2010 6:27 am

Then again I am a whore for baseball so I'm pretty big on unrequited love...Bemis has said that the album tells a story...so at the same time I could easily see this as a metaphor for something much bigger than interpersonal relations. Like propaganda and the way it is intended to worm its way into your heart or a case of him taking on the persona of someone other than himself who affected his life at the time the song was written.

david_style6

Post by david_style6 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:05 am

Wow these are some really good responses! There are just so many angles to look at this song from.
I miss you, girl. You're all that makes me true.

transylvanian

Post by transylvanian » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:32 pm

It's sexual imagery but also, yeah, getting under the girl's skin and vice versa.
"Know who you're dealing with before you gets involved," it boils down to.
A less violent "Little Girls," then.

Spiders are kindof gross but also kindof beautiful... delicate, slim, and deadly.
Love, it will not betray you, dismay or enslave you.
It will set you free. Be more like the man you were made to be.
There is a design, an alignment, a cry of my heart to see
the beauty of love as it was meant to be.
Mumford & Sons